Tears In My Eyes
As we pulled up to the gate, I couldn't help it... tears burst into my eyes. I was overwhelmed with emotions as we finished Africa Based Orientation and arrived at RVA. This has been a long time coming...almost 7 years in fact. In 2013 when I left the Africa Children's Choir, I knew I wanted to do missions full-time but God asked me to wait. God has been so faithful as I've waited and I can't believe I've made it to my new home.
Cookies To The Rescue
Oh no! One of the 7th grade boys broke his arm really bad and it turned out he needed surgery. This is his first year at RVA and his parents actually serve in Chad with my younger sister Courtney. His mom grabbed the first flight she could, so she could be there for his surgery. Imagine being 13 years old, away from home for the first time, countries away from your parents, and stuck in student health, in horrible pain waiting to have surgery. I could just feel the pain, homesickness, loneliness, and anxiety he must have been feeling. So, on behalf of the whole Chad team, I decided to make him some chocolate chip cookies and a little card, to let him know he wasn't alone. I dropped them off, at his dorm, the day before his surgery. I'm told cookies totally came to the rescue and put a smile on his face. What a blessing it is to be a blessing.
A few days later, I was able to have his mom over for dinner and we had a great time chatting and getting to know each other. We had a great conversation about the importance of child safety moving forward at RVA. She was such an encouragement as she shared with me how much clear communication means to parents.
*The student's name has been omitted due to safety reasons.*
On My Desk
- Health Curriculum: I've been asked to join a team updating the health curriculum for the school. The curriculum includes bullying, relationships, human development, child safety, digital citizenship, identity, emotional coping, and mental health awareness.
- RVA Policy Updates: I've joined a school policy committee. We're working on organizing, updating and developing school policies which cover all areas from dorm life, child safety (which I wrote last year on my vision trip), registration, academics, staffing, counselling, etc.
- Internal Assessment: The child safety team at RVA has decided to do an internal audit each year and an external audit every 3 years. I'm working on developing an online assessment tool we can send out to staff, students and parents.
- Sleep-Over and Dating Policy: Bobbie and I are working on writing a Sleep-Over policy and updating the current dating policy.
- Grade 6 Science Curriculum: I'll be teaching 6th grade science in January, so I've been reviewing the curriculum.
- Documentation: I spent the last few weeks reviewing the child safety documentation from the last few years. I've been updating files and making note of any missing documentation so we can track it down.
Answers to Prayer
11/05/19 - Moving into my new home went so smoothly. All of my luggage had been placed in the house for me, before I even got there and a host on campus had made sure I had furniture and a few groceries in the house. Little by little I'm trying to make it like home.
11/19/19 - I headed into Nairobi and was able to get my temporary visa extended. My work visa should hopefully be approved soon but until then, I can stay till January.
12/02/19 - I've been really sick the last two weeks - the worst cold I've ever had. I'm so thankful for all of the people on campus who offered cold medicine, essential oils, and to fill-in when I was too sick to do anything.
- Computer Broken: Last week my computer screen broke. Thankfully, I was able to send it with a family who was going to Arkansas for Christmas to be repaired. Please pray that they will be able fix it before they return at the end of Christmas. Please also pray for provision, the repair store quoted $650-$700 USD.
- Titchie Science: I've been asked to teach 6th grade science in term 2 and 3 (Weather, Energy, Forces and Motion, the Human Body and Reproduction). Please pray for me as I begin to prepare over December break.
- Christmas: I will be spending Christmas alone at RVA. Please pray that I will experience the joy of the season and I won't be too homesick.
- Work Visa: I'm still waiting or my work visa to be approved. Please pray that the approval will come in soon so I won't need to get another visitor visa extension.
P.S. I have a private group where I share more in-the-moment type prayer requests. Message me for more details.
I just had to include one more photo from the student baptism...this was at the very end when everyone sang a doxology blessing over the girls.